Problem 22: The sum of four consecutive numbers is 94. What are the four numbers?
Predict: I predict that I will need to use division and addition in this problem.
Clarify: I have no words, sentences or phrases to clarify.
Find the big question: What are the four numbers?
- At first I was very confused about how to solve this problem, but I worked out that I was over thinking it.
- First I divided 94 by 4 which equals 23.5
- That means that 23.5 is the middle number in the sum, because of the .5.
- So at first I didn’t realize that 23.5 had to be the middle number so I did 21+22+23+24, but that made 90.
- So that means the 23 has to go in the middle, so I chose 22+23+24+25=94!
The answer is 22,23,24 and 25.
Summary: The mathematicians toolbox strategy I used in this sum was work backwards.